Hole limitations in solid sawn wood joists

The codes limit hole sizes in sawn lumber joists to D/3, with a minimum of 2in edge distance.  Does the code allow an engineer to approve a larger hole opening (4in dia, at the N.A., 30 in from bearing in a 13'-8in long 2x10)?  I checked the shear and bending at the section, and they are very acceptable, but there must be more to it than that.  But what?  AWC has a good on-line publication that explains the notch limitations in depth, but I couldn't find explanation of the hole limitations.  I understand that the shear zone extends something like 3xdepth into a wood beam, but how does that translate into numbers to calculate?

Local home builders are facing the new building codes for the first time, and I am afraid these types of questions are going to come up often.  The residential codes are new to me too, and I don't want to overstep my responsibility by overruling the code.

Jim Wilson, PE
Stroudsburg, PA

Do you Yahoo!?