WOOD: Bolt Spec for Wood Fasteners

Greetings, all.

In considering bolted connections in wood, I note that 1997 NDS calls for “ASTM/ASME B 18.2.1-1981”. However, if memory serves that is simply a “dimension spec” describing diameters, thread pitches and thread lengths.

In any event I cannot seem to find a recommendation as to bolt strength. The Faherty/Williamson “Wood Engineering and Construction Handbook” states (on page 5.58) “…the use of a high-strength bolt may or may not increase the allowable design value”. I assume they refer to e.g. A 325.

My own assumption would be A 307, but as I say I cannot find any reference to this—and there don’t seem to be any design examples in Faherty to guide me.

Comments, please.