Re: WOOD: Bolt Spec for Wood Fasteners

The bottom of Table 11 (design values for connections), NDS 2001:

"Tabulated lateral design values (Z) are for "full diameter" bolts (see Appendix L (for dimensions)) with bending yield strength (Fyb) of 45,000 psi."

Hope this helps,
Jim

Bill Polhemus <bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc> wrote:

Greetings, all.

In considering bolted connections in wood, I note that 1997 NDS calls for ?ASTM/ASME B 18.2.1-1981?. However, if memory serves that is simply a ?dimension spec? describing diameters, thread pitches and thread lengths.

In any event I cannot seem to find a recommendation as to bolt strength. The Faherty/Williamson ?Wood Engineering and Construction Handbook? states (on page 5.58) ??the use of a high-strength bolt may or may not increase the allowable design value?. I assume they refer to e.g. A 325.

My own assumption would be A 307, but as I say I cannot find any reference to this?and there don?t seem to be any design examples in Faherty to guide me.

Comments, please.

Do you Yahoo!?