Wood Stress Increase for Wind

Title: Wood Stress Increase for Wind

Rich,

I'll attempt to answer your questions. I'm confident about #1. Hoping you'll get other opinions on #2 and #3 below:

1) yes, the 1.6 load duration factor can be used to adjust wood design values (except E and Fcperp) for members and connections resisting wind loads calculated per IBC 1605.3.1 or 1605.3.2. If you want more background, check the NDS Commentary, section 2.3.2.3 at the following link:

http://www.awc.org/Standards/ndscommentary.html

2) It seems, you only need to use the 1.3 factor IF you want to use the alternate load combinations of 1605.3.2 AND the simplified wind procedures of IBC 1609.6.

3) Again, it seems IF you are using the alternate load combinations AND the simplified wind load method, 1.3 would apply whether you are calculating C&C or MWFRS. I didn't see an exception in 1609.6 to the contrary.

HTH

Buddy

John "Buddy" Showalter, P.E.
Director, Technical Media
AF&PA/American Wood Council
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036
P: 202-463-2769
F: 202-463-2791
http://www.awc.org

The guidance provided herein is not a formal interpretation of any AF&PA standard.  Interpretations of AF&PA standards are only available through a formal process outlined in AF&PA's standards development procedures.