Re: Load combinations in UBC 1997-re code intent

Scott,

   Thank you for response. It really helped

Alex

Scott Maxwell <smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu> wrote:
Alex:

I don't really see a conflict. I believe the intent is that for all cases
execpt those involving seismic loads (E), you are to use the load
combinations in section 1909.2 (see exception 3 in section 1621.2.1). For
those combinations with E in them, then section 1909.2.3 refers you back
to section 1612.2.1, where exception 2 will cause you to use eq 12-5 and
12-6 but multiplied by 1.1.

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Nacionales Alex wrote:

> There seems to be a conflict between section 1612.2.1
> for load combinations used in Strength Design and LFRD
> and section 1909.2 - Required strength for Concrete
> if one is designing concrete structures.
>
> I know that the provisions in section 1909.2 used to
> be in the old UBC code.
>
> I would appreciate comments. Thanks in advance.
>

> Alex C. Nacionales

> http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

> *
> *