RE: Hole limitations in solid sawn wood joists

"Stress concentrations" in the end zone are what I am unsure of.  I just did a keyword search and found what appears to be some useful discussions and equations in chapter 8 (by Lawrence A. Soltis) of a publication through the Forest Products Lab.

- And why does the IRC touch so much on metal framing for residential structures?  At least in the northeast, that's something that I have never seen.  I would be real concerned if an inexperienced builder thought he could just pick up the code and build a steel house.

Thanks,
Jim

"Jordan Truesdell, PE" <seaint(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com> wrote:
The IRC is purely prescriptive, and generally anything which falls outside (should) requires and engineer/architect's blessing.  Log homes are, interestingly, one of the areas not covered by the IRC, but get put up all over the place without ever seeing the inside of an engineers office. Also, as I've noted in the past, the IRC does NOT comply with the IBC in some areas (foundation wall design is my pet peeve).

In the original post, a hole was mentioned in wood.  I would make sure that stress concentrations are accounted for in the design.