RE: Off Topic: Unclaimed Property

My wife has actually done this three times in the last few years here in Texas. Ironically, the last one was about 30 bucks that the PE Board had been “overpaid” by me for license renewal (at those prices, I didn’t know it was POSSIBLE to overpay the Texas P.E. Board; we have one of the highest license renewal fees in the country at $240 a pop).

From: Dennis Wish [mailto:dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net]
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2004 10:40 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Off Topic: Unclaimed Property

I received a letter a few days ago from a company that claims I was owed some money that I had better claim or the state of California would take the funds. For a fee, the company would retrieve my claim for me.

This got me to thinking that I could do the same and I went to the State of California website at: https://scoweb.sco.ca.gov/ only to find out that there were two claims for money (probably from interest after I moved from Los Angeles).  Websites like this are located in every state. I checked some years ago but found that nothing was reported against my name until now.

I would recommend that all of you check every state that you have investments that may have been closed out but have ultimately left money for you that went unclaimed. In my case it was not a great amount but well worth the effort to obtain. The effort includes printing out the forms and an acknowledgment form from the Internet. The acknowledgement must be completed with personal information and then notarized and submitted to the State’s Comptrollers Office.

---