RE: ASD vs LRFD: Say It Ain't So

'Course I never could figure out what all the fuss was about anyway.

I "converted" to LRFD several years ago, found the "conversion" to be
painless and have never looked back.

Once you get used to the "philosophy" behind limit states for design--to
which you should have grown accustomed with Strength Design of
concrete--it's a no-brainer (and all here know me as a bear of very little
brain).

I think it's just the innate cantankerousness of structural engineers
regarding "change." "Those pointy-headed perfessers ain't a-gonna make ME
switch to no namby-pamby pinko-commie LRF'nD!!!"

While I sympathize with that attitude to some degree, I have to believe it
is self-defeating when taken to extremes (I often think fondly of my former
colleague, who graduated in the early 1950s and insisted that we all
calculate the "bond strength" of rebar so we could REALLY understand how it
works).

The LRFD manuals have represented the incorporation of new knowledge
concerning steel behavior. To me, that was worth attempting to keep up with.