Re: professional Practice

FWIW, Merriam-Webster (or any other dictionary for that matter) won't
have "alot" as an entry.  The proper use of the term is "a lot".  An
old English teacher of mine helped me avoid the confusion to think of
"a little".  You would never think of combining those as one word, and
grammatically speaking, the two terms are synonymous.

-Eugene