RE: ASTM For Headed Anchor Bolts

I'm going to quote an article, "Are You Properly Specifying Materials?", by
Charles J. Carter, PE that was published in the March '99 issue of Modern
Steel Construction.  It says:
"The usual material specification for anchor rods is ASTM F1554, a new
material specification that covers hooded, headed and threaded and nutted
anchor rods in three strength grades: 36, 55 and 105.  Fade 55 is most
commonly specified.  (Aside: 36 ksi is recommended by ACI)....  Although
ASTM F1554 is expected to rapidly become the specification of choice for
anchor rods, several other ASTM Specifications can also be used.  For
applications involving unheaded rods, ASTM A36, A193, A307, A354, A449,
A572, A588 and A687 can be specified.  For applications involving headed
rods, ASTM A307, A354 and A449 can be specified."

This article was back in '99.  Hopefully within the last 5 years, ASTM F1554
is the standard for anchor specification.  That being the case, it may be
throwing the contractor off.  Furthermore, I have never had a contractor not
be able to find headed anchors.  I hope this helps.

Dave Maynard, PE
Gillette, Wyoming

---