Snow Drift load in Roof Valleys

List,
For gable roofs with intersecting ridge lines (i.e. for L-shaped
buildings), 1997 UBC Appendix Chapter 16, in Section 1641.3.2, dictated
an increased accumulation of snow in the valleys caused by the roof
intersections.  Figure A-16-12 shows a good picture of what I mean.  I
can't find anything like that in the IBC (I'm looking at 2000), only a
general unbalanced load for any gable roof, ignoring the valley effect
of such intersections.

Does anyone have any background as to why the valley drift criteria were
not included in the IBC, or have I just not found it?

Thanks,

Mike Hemstad, P.E.
TKDA
St. Paul, Minnesota