Re: Minimum steel in slabs on ground

In a message dated 10/20/2004 10:39:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time, haynewp(--nospam--at)hotmail.com writes:
I have not used fiber reinforcement before.  However I am curious, if fiber
reinforced slabs are such crap, why are so many professors so excited about
fiber reinforcing?
That is an excellent question.  And an even better question is why no one else has asked it yet.

The professors are excited because by being excited,  they will get research funding.

If you look at the ACI Structural Journal,  between 60 and 82% of the articles in any issue will  be some new  aspect of fibers or fiber reinforced plastic.  I.e. the stuff you dump in the concrete or the stuff you glue on the concrete.

Just the title alone lets you know you are in for excitement:

The Effects of Fibers in Short Beams loaded in Shear on Tuesdays
Designing Fiber-Reinforced Slabs on Ground with Fracture Mechanics and a Kitchenaid Blender

Not to mention those that make multiple uses of the words "high performance" and "innovative" in their title:

Innovative High Performance Uses of Innovative Fibers in High-Performance Concrete

If you want more excitement than you can stand, attend the ACI 544 (Fiber Reinforced Concrete) Committee meeting.  Your professor will probably be there.

There tends to be a little bit of a disconnect with the fiber sales force,  since those tend to be construction management majors and shoe salesmen  (whose understanding of engineering principles is exactly the same)  but that just adds to the fun.

Gail Kelley