Slab On Grade - To Float Or Not To Float

For a non-structural concrete slab on grade do you typically let the concrete float on top of prepared subgrade or do you turn down the perimeter and support the slab edge on a footing?  I have always thought that the slab should float and be independent of the walls and footings, primarily due to differences in settlement.  However I am working with an engineer who has a difference of opinion.  There are concerns regarding moisture penetration but this will be handled with an interior and exterior french drain.