Re: professional Practice with a segue...

From: Daryl Richardson <h.d.richardson(--nospam--at)shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 19:05:19 -0600

If it's being takes seriously I don't think it could fly in Canada. I
expect  it would be against the law to use legal tender in this way.  It's
certainly against the law to melt down coins when the value of the metal exceeds the face value of the coins; This was confirmed when copper and silver actually
were being used for money.

If your observation was true, then those companies who provide machines at turnpike rest stops and tourist traps that lets you convert a penny to a sentimental keepsake by restamping the coin would be guilty of violating such laws. As I don't know of anyone who has been prosecuted for this, your concerns are probably moot.

But the fact that legal tender is being used is besides the point. Rock stars sometimes put into their contracts a clause that says when they are at a concert location, certain food and beverage must be provided for them backstage. In one case, I heard of one requiring a bowl of M&Ms, as long as they were non-green. The compensation for not doing so was to increase the amount they had to be paid to perform the concert. But the real reason is that the rock stars wanted the promoter to read the contract.