From: Ray Pixley [mailto:r_pixley(--nospam--at)msn.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2004 8:21 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: professional Practice with a segue...

>From: Daryl Richardson <h.d.richardson(--nospam--at)shaw.ca>
>Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 19:05:19 -0600
>
>         If it's being takes seriously I don't think it could fly in
>Canada.  I
>expect  it would be against the law to use legal tender in this way.  It's
>certainly against the law to melt down coins when the value of the metal
>exceeds
>the face value of the coins;  This was confirmed when copper and silver
>actually
>were being used for money.

If your observation was true, then those companies who provide machines at
turnpike rest stops and tourist traps that lets you convert a penny to a
sentimental keepsake by restamping the coin would be guilty of violating
such laws.  As I don't know of anyone who has been prosecuted for this, your
concerns are probably moot.

But the fact that legal tender is being used is besides the point.  Rock
stars sometimes put into their contracts a clause that says when they are at
a concert location, certain food and beverage must be provided for them
backstage.   In one case, I heard of one requiring a bowl of M&Ms, as long
as they were non-green.  The compensation for not doing so was to increase
the amount they had to be paid to perform the concert.  But the real reason
is that the rock stars wanted the promoter to read the contract.