RE: Re: Minimum steel in slabs on ground==>>FRC is a great invention/discovery of the 20th Century!!

I'm going take this one.  First, this is not directed at any professors who have worked in the industry, started a practice from scratch, and built their own firm into a profitable operation.  I don't know too many of those guys. It's also not directed specifically at Fyed, he just happens to be the one to have brought it up.

In my experience, professors spend very little time designing and detailing production work and dealing with on-site problems, standard practices, change orders, and *gasp* client budget constraints.  This is particularly true of those who never see the outside of a classroom on their way to a PhD and an associate professorship.  There are few jobs as comfortable as a professor. I know, I have relatives who are professors. I also have worked in the Federal Government right out of college and know all about job security and benefits of a tenured position in a large institution. Show me several million square feet with a 20 year successful design history as EOR and we'll talk.

As wonderful as some of these new materials are in a laboratory setting, there are far too many variables and far too few in-place installations to give them to a marketing group and tell them to make money.  Specs get hyped (never cut another control joint again!), dosages get cut (my local ready-mix's "standard" fiber add is half the producer's recommended), and errors occur on a daily basis.   It's one thing to have a bunch of grad students out there with calipers running a test. It's an entirely different matter to have a crew of twenty laborers, six of which don't speak the same language as the foreman, and four or five of them so hungover they might puke in the concrete mix if they smell one more bacon and sausage biscuit from Hardee's.

Here's another suggestion: if your item of choice is so fantastic, make a generic version and get it into the code books with specs to match.  I don't want a four page glossy on your uber-idea, I want a section in the ACI or AISC code books that say "you can replace your standard <blah> with our uber<blah> one for one."  I want a document saying that if I use your product you've so carefully designed, that any dimwit can put it in, and if it breaks your lawyers will tell the client that I did the right thing, and you'll be footing the entire bill.

I think that's it. Oh, except I'll want it to be 20% cheaper to install, so that when the contractor marks up his fee to account for the additional headaches of using a new material, and I add my extra hours of fee in for research and learning curve on your idea, it will still save the client a percent or two over the tried-and-true methods used for the last fifty years.