Deflection of Steel Beams carrying Brick

My question is in regards to deflection of steel beams.  Normally, our exterior walls consist of 4” brick, an insulated cavity and 8” CMU. At the framed floors, the 8” CMU sits on the concrete slab which is supported be a steel beam spanning column to column. The brick sits on a brick relief or shelf angle attached to the steel beam. ACI 503-1.10.1 specifies the deflection of beams giving support to masonry be designed for L/600 or .3” maximum.  Is this criteria for any type beam supporting masonry? If I design my exterior beams for a maximum deflection of .3”, they get quite large. Should I be designing for the L/600 or .3”, or am I missing something?