Re: Shear, Tension, and Block Shear Rupture Strength

David,

You may also want to look at an article from AISC Engineering Journal, Forth Quarter, 1991 by David Ricker, "Design and Construction of Lifting Beams".

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"David Maynard" <davemaynard(--nospam--at)ceincorp.com>

10/21/2004 10:07 AM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

"Structural Engineers List" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
Shear, Tension, and Block Shear Rupture Strength

I need a little bit of assistance on this one.  I am looking at a steel lifting eye that will be welded onto the body of a haul truck for a mine.  I am analyzing first the lifting eye and then the welds holding it in place.  My question is analyzing the lifting.

First, this is a vertical lift, putting tension onto the lifting eye.  I turn to Chapt. D in AISC LRFD 3rd Ed. and I check for Gross Section Yield and Net Section Fracture.  Then, due to the loads implied by this lifting eye, by way of a shackle, I feel that Block Shear Rupture is another potential failure mode.  So, I turn to Chapter J4 for Design Rupture Strength.  There are three sections therein, Shear Rupture Strength, Tension Rupture Strength, and Block Shear Rupture Strength.  I got to wondering what Anv and Ant were, so I turn to the Commentary.  The Commentary for this particular portion of the chapter discusses the failure mode of Block Shear only.  It also shows where Anv and Ant are, which are drastically smaller than the effective areas of Net Section Fracture.  This got me thinking, and finally brings up my question....

Are "Shear Rupture Strength" and "Tension Rupture Strength" in and of themselves failure modes, or are they simply tools used for determining the overall "Block Shear Rupture Strength?"  I believe I know the answer, but I want to verify.  Thanks.

David Maynard, PE
Gillette, Wyoming