Re: Availability of Due Diligence Report Guidelines

Bill,

        I think it's important to get an idea directly from your client as to
just what (s)he is expecting from you and how much (s)he is willing to spend.

        I've done building reviews where a one hour "walk through" and a one or
two page letter were satisfactory; and I've done building reviews where many
concrete cores were taken and a large testing laboratory budget was part and
parcel of the final report.

        Your client may only want to know if upgrading the buildings to current
seismic codes has already been done or if it still needs to be done.  In
Calgary, for instance, a one sentence report stating "This is a post tensioned
building!" (even verbally) would be all some prospective owners would need to
drop the deal like a hot potato.

        Others have provided good advice, particularly regarding qualifications
or disclaimers.  They can be especially important in this type of study.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson