From: Daryl Richardson [mailto:h.d.richardson(--nospam--at)shaw.ca]
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2004 4:02 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Availability of Due Diligence Report Guidelines

Bill,

        I think it's important to get an idea directly from your client as
just what (s)he is expecting from you and how much (s)he is willing to
spend.

        I've done building reviews where a one hour "walk through" and a one
or
two page letter were satisfactory; and I've done building reviews where many
concrete cores were taken and a large testing laboratory budget was part and
parcel of the final report.

        Your client may only want to know if upgrading the buildings to
current
seismic codes has already been done or if it still needs to be done.  In
Calgary, for instance, a one sentence report stating "This is a post
tensioned
building!" (even verbally) would be all some prospective owners would need
drop the deal like a hot potato.

        Others have provided good advice, particularly regarding
qualifications
or disclaimers.  They can be especially important in this type of study.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson