Re: wood framing - commercial structures

Jen,

I'm not certain about height limitations, but getting all the wind shear out to stiff lateral elements (stair towers) might be difficult, and using light framed shear walls, especially on the first floor, I would think, would be a real headache without interior shear walls.

As for wall thicknesses, I can't imagine a 2x4 10' tall wall that could withstand C&C loads in a 130mph region.  I have to do arithmetic gymnastics just to get a 2x4 S. Pine in a 10' wall in my area of Virginia, which has 90mph winds - anything taller requires 2x6 construction.  Where I have done it, I've had to use engineered columns (PSL) for king studs in the jambs of larger windows.