RE: Deflection of Steel Beams carrying Brick

The reason for this provision is that the veneer sitting on the foundation
doesn't deflect any.  If the beams above deflect more than the open joint
then load from the beam is transferred to the veneer.  You have to beef up
ALL the beams, not just the first floor.

You can get around this by providing a wider deflection joint between the
bottom of the beam supported veneer and the top of the foundation supported
veneer (AND CLEARLY DETAILING THIS AND MAKING SURE THE MASON READS THE PLANS
AND MAKING SURE HE/SHE ACTUALLY CONSTRUCTS IT THIS WAY).

---
Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, LLC
Kansas City, Missouri