RE: wood framing - commercial structures

Title: Message

In this area there is too much moisture to be using wood.  We have serious problems with rotting and termites… which can be avoided with proper maintenance, but from what I’ve seen, that rarely happens. This particular structure sits right on the water, which only adds to the moisture that it will experience. On another note, being in a high seismic area, the weight of wood (or lack thereof) is often very beneficial in helping to avoid costly seismic resistance measures.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Friday, October 22, 2004 9:52 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: wood framing - commercial structures

Hm. The Salt Lake Tabernacle is about a hundred and fifty years old. The roof structure is entirely wood-framed. It’s only now getting an earthquake retrofit to bring it up to code.

It is a fallacy that “wood framed structures don’t last.” Beware of “conventional wisdom” based on the notion that “if I haven’t been using it, it must not be worth using.”