RE: supporting masonry

Title: Message

>How about simply cambering the beam

>to offset the dead load deflection

>And leave a net of 0.3”

I don’t think this would work out very well. The deflection of the beam under the wall weight would still occur, which is the real problem, not the initial position as the wall is constructed. That is, camber does not eliminate the deflections, it changes the starting point from which deflections will occur. Furthermore, the variations in camber are on the order of twice the 0.3” limit specified in ACI 530.

There is a series of member types and applications in which we recommend that camber should not be used. The spandrel beam is one of them for the above reasons.

Charlie