RE: Digression

Typically I have noticed that certain countries such as India and Pakistan,
where English is a "second language," but is the standard language for
business and commerce, seem to foster a culture of deep respect for written
English.

Such users of English will normally have a better command of written
grammar, syntax, punctuation, not to mention spelling, than those whose
"first" language is English.

I consider that it is a sign of the degree to which refinement is treasured
in those cultures. It used to be an "educated man" was one who could speak
and write within a formal system of accepted conventions.

Now, since "education" == "$$$" such refinement seems to rate a very low
priority.