Sent: Friday, October 22, 2004 11:37 AM
Subject: Masonry remodel question - changing shear walls

I may be doing a remodel on an existing masonry (CMU) building where the wall with the highest shear will have two large openings cut into it. I will be left with sufficient wall that I think may work with the steel it already has. However, if I use the remaining wall for shear how will I retrofit into the ends of the CMU shear panels sufficient steel (jamb bars) to satisfy any potential uplift requirement? I do anticipate encasing the perimeter of the large door openings with steel channels or welded angles.

Any suggestions?

Dennis S. Wish, PE

California Professional Engineer

Structural Engineering Consultant