Q: "Percentage" of building or building component failures attributed to design

Greetings.

I’d like some opinions—preferably backed up with facts—as to the percentage of building or building component failures that can be attributed to DESIGN, as opposed to construction flaws.

I suspect—though I don’t know—that the number of failures that can be laid at the feet of the designer is probably quite low—maybe in the five percent range. In contrast, I suspect that the number of failures attributable to constructors not following the plans and specs, using the wrong materials, inadequate attention to detail, etc., is high.

I cannot prove this but it stands to reason. The goal of an engineer and that of a constructor are radically different, and the constructor actually has the hardest task, obviously.

I would like to establish some sort of documented criterion for my belief. Any comments would be most welcome.