Re: Site Built Wood Trusses

On 25 Oct 2004, at 8:49, Acie Chance wrote:

> Hi
>
>      I am designing the roof for a small agricultural building where the
> owner want no interior walls or columns.  This is a perfect place to  use
> wood truss.  The owner has not been able to locate a local truss manufacture
> who is interested in doing the work.  First if any one has contacts for a
> wood truss manufacturer in the Bakersfield Ca., I could use the name and
> phone number.  Second the owner wants the option to have his contractor make
> the wood trusses.  The calculations for the members is straight forward
> however the connections are not.  Connection plates made from sheet metal
> and nails seams the best way.  I am concerned with the ability of the
> contractor to make the sheet metal connection plates and there cost.  The
> plates seam large due to the number of nails required.   I would like to
> know what others have done for the connections for on site built trusses.
>
>     Thanks in advance
>     Acie Chance

Acie,

I've designed connections for site-built wood trusses using plywood
gusset plates for the connections.  Usually we used a plywood plate on
each side of the connection and made the plate large enough to
accomodate the calculated number of nails to transfer the forces.

I've seen this work for spans up to about 30 feet.  I've not tried to
design one of these much larger than that.  If I had to, I would probably
use larger lumber for the chords and webs and go to bolts for the
connections and likely use steel plates for the connections
instead of the plywood.

I've recently been working on a large warehouse seismic upgrade,
that uses wooden trusses to span 60 ft. without problems.
The building was designed in the 1940's and uses bolts for
the connections without gusset plates.  All of the chord and
web members that are bolted together converge to the same
point.  These trusses were built with two parallel top
chords and two parallel bottom chords to keep the loading
from being too eccentric at the connections, and it works very
well.  The members are 3x8 mostly with some 2x6 for web
members, where applicable.

HTH,
Lloyd Pack, P.E.