Re: Site Built Wood Trusses

Acie,

        If I were faced with this problem for a large building my first act
would be to contact the Gang-nail Company (one possible site to start is
www.eleco.com/gang-nail) for field fabrication information (if it exists).

        Failing that, I have designed trusses using plywood gusset plates glued
with no reported failures.  The area of the plywood in contact with the truss
members is determined by the allowable in plane shear stress for the plywood (it
used to be called rolling shear) which is about 55 p.s.i. depending on plywood
grade.  Full (and current) specifications should be available through AITC.

        I expect that quality control will be your major problem.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson