RE: Site Built Wood Trusses

Drew,
This is exactly what makes each manufacture of wood trusses proprietary. It
is more than the plate - it is the number of teeth, the embedment and the
pressure applied as well as the type of lumber used. Each company embeds
their plate specs (as far as I know) into their computer programs and
licenses the use of the software along with the manufacturing equipment and
plates for the press manufacturing of site specific trusses.

In our area, there is only one engineering firm that I know of that has a
history of all plates, manufacturers and the equipment used in order to
reconstruct the capacity of the trusses recognized in their library. This is
Aaron Reed of Deadline Engineering in San Bernardino. He use to handle most
of the truss manufacturers in the Coachella Valley (Palm Springs) from time
to time and in over 20 years has developed a business now that provides
forensic information on site trusses in case there is a client that needs
it.

Dennis S. Wish, PE

California Professional Engineer

Structural Engineering Consultant

dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net

http://www.structuralist.net

"Apathy is Lethal!" Speak out and Vote - but make sure you get the facts
right without the spin from either side; Verify their claims at
FactCheck.Org; http://www.factcheck.org