RE: Live load / occupancy correlation

I've been involved with several groups wanting to either upgrade existing construction or re-use a non-assembly space for assembly purposes (churches and business buying residences is popular due to either location or cost factors).  I've been the bearer of "bad news" on several occasions, and always fall back on anecdotes for my use of caution to console the owners.

One of the things I always point out, especially additions/remodels for churches with small congregations, is that although they don't have but X number of people now, they may either grow, lease, or sell to a larger group at some point in the future.  A good example for your client is holding a function where a line may form (for registration or food or whatever).  You could reasonably get 40 people lined up on a pair of joist lines in that room, and easily overload the system.  Similarly, a party with the dance floor at mid-span could reach dynamic load failure with a small fraction of the maximum occupancy rating (the wedding reception collapse in Israel a couple of years ago comes to mind).

As for 600 people in a room, I'll agree that it would be difficult to squeeze 'em in, but I live in a college town, and you'd be amazed how many kids can fit on a balcony along with a pair of kegs.   I won't design a rental balcony here for less than 100psf or 200plf on the perimeter, regardless of code minimums.  I've even seen a case where a college apartment floor sank about 16-18" at midspan during a party.  Who'd have thought you could have a live band in a 2 bedroom, 600SF place?  Political rallies will also draw that kind of crowd, and the TV crews just love to see a room packed to the gills because it looks good on film.

In your case I would likely state in a letter that the area is designed for approximately (x) pounds per square foot, which meets the code minimums for use groups (y) but not (z). If there is opportunity for easily upgrading the floor system, or not for that matter, I'll include the format of the upgrade.  As an engineer, I try to stay out of the "is/is not appropriate for your intended use" pitfall in my written communications, since there are areas of the code which I don't know by heart, though I will make a verbal recommendation to the owner as to their best course of action to get to their desired goal.