Re: Live load / occupancy correlation

This comment reminded me about going to the Golden Gate Bridge's "birthday party" a few years ago.  A million or so people were packed together so tightly that there was *nothing* any of us could do to resist any "mob movement" that might have occurred.  Fortunately none did.  I vaguely recall reading later that the powers that be stated that the crowd load was "safe," or something like that.  Of course a bridge's design live load is somewhat larger than that of my living room floor.  :)

When they were replacing the G. G. Bridge's deck with a lighter one some time ago (completely at night, without interrupting rush hour traffic, by the way) the distortion in the bridge due to one part of the deck being significantly heavier than the other was quite noticeable.

Ralph
Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Structural Engineer
Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com