Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 8:09 PM
Subject: RE: Opinions of an Egyptian American

Mr. Grassley your comparison of the creation of new terrorists to drug dealers is seriously flawed and completely intellectually bankrupt.  I mean no disrespect, but you have to reconsider what you said.

You compared a market driven social ill to a religious war.  There is no war on Terror, for Terrorism is a method.  The world is in a war with Islamic Fundamentalists.  Most of the world doesn't know it is in a war yet, but Russia sure does.  Draining the metaphoric swamp in Iraq is not "CREATING more NEW terrorists/insurgents/militant radicals".  They obviously already exist.  I believe that as we continue to drain the swamp, those Islamic Fundamentalists who chose to take the place of their fallen brethren will also be killed, and you will see a big decrease in the insurgency.  Our only option is to give full support to American Military Forces and the Iraqi People.

Aside from the families and personnel of our Military, we here in the United States have experienced very little inconvenience in marshalling our response to Fundamentalist Islam.  We have an economy that is growing at 3.5 to 4%, long term interest rates in the range of 5%, unemployment at 5.5% or so, and a much deserved federal income tax decrease.  Yes of course we are incurring a deficit to defer the cost of our defense.  It seems as though our largest concern is having to watch the sacrifice made by others on the nightly news while we go about our daily lives.  History has taught us that Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness is not FREE.  Not in past, not now, and certainly not in the future.  It's not free to anyone.  It requires SACRIFICE.

Keith De Lapp, P.E.
KDL Engineering