RE: Opinions of an Egyptian American

Christopher -

I had the same opinion of Vietnam from the time I got back (1973) until
about 1983 when I worked with a couple of Vietnamese colleagues at a large
engineering firm. One left Vietnam to study in the US (got his PhD at U of
Missouri-Rolla). He felt he had abandoned his country and felt very guilty
about it. The second left on a boat (bought his spot on the boat for US$4k
in gold). He told me that two boats left that day, both were overloaded with
refugees. The other boat capsized in the harbor and everyone drowned. On his
boat, by the time it reached safe shores, all of the women had been raped
and the men were robbed of just about every posession they had. My colleague
arrived in freedom with one possession: his right shoe. Between the two of
them, they convinced me that the cause was just, but the plan was flawed.

BTW, even though South Vietnam eventually fell, it seems that communism
never did make it to Hawaii.

While I can understand your point of view on Vietnam (and some of the
similarities to Iraq), there's one big difference between 1966 and now - the
Viet Cong didn't take down the WTC.

And it was the other JFK who first send people to Vietnam, one of his first
of many blunders in foreign policy. LBJ "just" escalated it to the half mil
mark, still without a plan on how to win (which irked both liberals and
conservatives alike).

Respectfully,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
ALLEN DESIGNS
Consulting Structural Engineers
http://www.AllenDesigns.com
V (949) 248-8588	 ?	 F (949) 209-2509