From: Christopher Wright [mailto:chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com]
Sent: Tue 10/26/2004 10:46 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Opinions of an Egyptian American

On Oct 26, 2004, at 8:09 PM, Keith De Lapp wrote:
> I believe that as we continue to drain the swamp, those Islamic
> Fundamentalists who chose to take the place of their fallen brethren
> will also be killed, and you will see a big decrease in the
> insurgency. Our only option is to give full support to American
> Military Forces and the Iraqi People.

A fairly chilling reminder of 1966. You could take the foregoing
paragraph, change just a few words and it'd be exactly how another
Texan justified sending people to Vietnam. LBJ and another whiz kid of
a defense secretary were certain they was right, too, right up until
the awful minute when they realized they were wrong. Different time,
different war, different enemy, but the same thinking, same strategy,
same ignorance of the enemy, same inability to turn a lopsided
technological capability to advantage. And the same denial of the
obvious.

I felt the same way about the Vietnam war in 1966 as a lot of people
feel about Iraq today. We had right on our side; if we didn't fight
them in Asia we'd be fighting them in Hawaii; the same attempt at a
coalition and a tame government. And the same reassurances about the
light at the end of the tunnel.

chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com | this distance" (last words of Gen.
http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
* site at: http://www.seaint.org

> ATTACHMENT part 2 application/ms-tnef name=winmail.dat

Do you Yahoo!?