Re: Opinions of an Egyptian American

The root of the problem is religion, or radical intolerance to differing
cultural mores vis a vis  religious beliefs.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Stuart, Matthew" <mstuart(--nospam--at)schoordepalma.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 7:50 PM
Subject: RE: Opinions of an Egyptian American

Fair enough...I agree that the root of the problem should be addressed to
ultimately solve the problem...any suggestions on how this can best be
accomplished in an environment in which torture of the innocent is
considered acceptable collateral damage...remember that this condition
existed in Iraq under Sadam prior to our invasion.

M. Stuart

I hate to dive into this one - and hopefully much of this political
discussion on this list will die down a bit after the election (and ensuing
lawsuits) are over.

To add my 2-cents to this subject...I agree with everything that was stated
in this person's assessment of our current military endeavor, HOWEVER -
looking at the situation a bit more critically, it certainly appears that we
are rapidly CREATING more NEW terrorists/insurgents/militant radicals than
may be worth the costs we are incurring.  I don't think any American should
feel any safer when one enemy is killed if two more step up to fill his
place.  Unless of course we plan on setting up a permanent "bug light" in
the middle east for the next few decades.  And I'm sure no one wants that.

Just look at the pitiful successes of the "drug war."  Throw one dealer in
jail, two more take his place.  Why doesn't our government focus on the
roots of the problem...why do drug USERS create such a demand for
drugs...why do young Muslims hate our country so much that they are turning
to suicide bombings??  Perpetual war is not a solution to either of these
questions.

Eli Grassley