RE: Wood - Lateral Bracing

Our IRC expert interprets Chpt 5 as requiring blocking at interior
supports, even though cartoon figure appears to show that blocking is
not needed.  His argument is that text says "Joists shall be supported
laterally at the ends....", which implies that the end of the joist can
either be interior supported or other.  The exception to R502.7 is
intended to apply to continuous joists over intermediate support (i.e.
blocking required in SDC D1 and D2).

I'm open to other interpretations, but this makes sense to me.

(pardon any spelling or grammatical errors...)

Tom

Thomas D. Skaggs, Ph.D., P.E.
Senior Engineer
APA - The Engineered Wood Association