Re: Response spectrum analysis - Query

Tejas,

My personal opinion would be that you should NOT scale down a dynamic analysis.  However, this is based on two very important assumptions.  I.) You have an appropriate response spectrum, and 2.) You have modeled and performed your dynamic analysis correctly.

For a symmetrical/regular building without any mass, stiffness, or plan irregularities your dynamic analysis should be less than your static analysis but the code writers wanted some lower limits on low you can go since even a dynamic analysis is still not without its own potential inaccuracies.

For good reasons, the code requires a dynamic analysis for certain irregular buildings since these buildings do not fit the underlying assumptions of the static base shear equations and it is possible that you could have some weird modes causing significant increases in your building response and overall base shear.  This is why you are required to do the dynamic analysis in the first place.

Since you may have a site specific response spectra that is inappropriate you are probably comparing apples to dead fish when comparing your static base shear to the dynamic base shear.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

Tejas Ins <tejas_ins(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>

10/26/2004 07:24 PM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org