Re: friction coefficient on rock

If there is a guarantee that the wall/rock interface will be dry forever, a coefficient of 0.6 will be reasonable. Presence of moisture at the interface will reduce the coefficient substantially.

My suggestion is to cut a slot in the rock and to key the wall in to rock.

Rajendran

Joe Grill <jgrill(--nospam--at)swiaz.com> wrote:

After excavation it is found that a retaining wall will be founded on solid rock (sandstone). Can anyone give me a friction coefficient for this condition if any?  I don?t have a reference that addresses this situation.

Thanks!

Joe Grill

Joseph R. Grill, P.E.

jgrill(--nospam--at)swiaz.com