From: Paul Crocker [mailto:pcrocker(--nospam--at)reidmidd.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 3:48 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Tilt-Up Walls as a Seismic System

What lateral system designation are people using for tilt-up wall panels
under the IBC?  For seismic design category D, it appears that ordinary
walls are not permitted.  It would be easy enough to reinforce tilt-up
as a special wall, except for the foundation connections.  Welded embed
plates appear to be outside the typical wall detailing.  ACI 318-02 in
21.13 talks about some detailing for something called "intermediate
precast structural walls".  The term intermediate is not something that
the IBC applies to shear walls, they are either special or ordinary.  I
know that tilt-up is still being used in seismic country, so I assume
that the R factor and the detailing requirements are coming from
somewhere.  Can anyone shed any light on how this is done?

Paul Crocker, PE, SE