Re: Residential Plan Drawings

Taking control of a project as an SE can escalate my fee from $800 to $4000+ on a medium sized residence.  In this part of the country, where paying $1000 to a "designer" for a set of plans is a luxury expense, the additional structural engineering overhead would certainly appear to be overkill.  This has recently happened for custom log homes in a neighboring county, where the head building official has declared that log homes, since they are not in the IRC, require a full set of sealed structural prints. This has led to several angry/reluctant clients, though luckily their anger was not directed at me.

I routinely engineer portions of residential projects which do not comply with the IRC (10' basements are just becoming popular in the upscale communities in my area).  I clearly state that only those portions of the residence detailed have been designed, and that the construction must otherwise comply with the IRC or IBC.   Usually, if the portion of the residence I'm designing relies on fasteners or special bars, I'll detail those too, but I'm not going to give collar tie details if I've been asked to design a basement.