RE: Footing Design Questions (L/W ratio) for an Addition....

Can a continuous concrete grade beam be used instead?  This beam would be
incorporated as part the moment frame instead of an isolated "fixed" point.

The beam would be wider directly under the column (where both the moment and
gravity load are highest) and narrower toward mid-span.

This is what I had to do the last time I had a fixed-base frame.

---
Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, LLC
Kansas City, Missouri