From: CM Iqbal [mailto:cmiqbal(--nospam--at)isb.paknet.com.pk]
Sent: Friday, October 29, 2004 8:48 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Cc: SHAKOOR UPPAL
Subject: Re: [SPAM] - Country Factor on AASHTO Loading for Bridges - Please Help

Dear Faiz and Hamid,

    In Pakistan we are still using only Class-A and Class-AA loading along with AASHTO codes. This particular loading pertains to an age old code of 1967, therefore, it needs to be revised. Some time back I had organized a Seminar on Bridges held at National Highway Authority, most of the speakers stressed on the need for the revision of the existing code of 1967.

    During this Seminar it was stressed that instead of developing and maintaining a new Bridge Designing Code, which will be  difficult for a developing country like Pakistan, it would be rather convenient to use AASHTO codes and its loading but using a Country Factor as our bridge loading is higher than those specified by AASHTO. The examples they had given was of Dubai who are using a Country Factor of 1.25, similarly some other countries have also adopted this design procedure.

    Any how I am working on this project, where I will be designing about 20 bridges of different lengths both on AASHTO loading as well as on Class-A/ Class-AA loading keeping all other factors the same and the find out a safe Factor which will be a comparison of the two loadings. It will take me about two to three months but I will let you know about the findings. There after, we are also planning to have a Discussion Seminar where we will invite all leading bridge consultants to discuss this issue and give their recommendations.

    No doubt you have never heard of a Country Factor, but it doesn't mean it does not exist. It is a very convenient way of designing of bridges for many countries.

Regards
CM Iqbal