Re: The Ritual of the Calling of an Engineer (Canada), Order of the Engineer (US)

List,
This ritual has existed in Canada since approximately
1900.  It came about, partly, because of the collapse
of the first Quebec bridge.  Rudyard Kipling who was
visiting Canada at the time was very interested in the
affair and wrote the oath "The Calling of an Engineer".
You take part in this when you graduate not as part of
the university ceremony, but as a separate function only
for engineers.  It is a myth that the rings come from
the collapsed bridge, but the original rings were iron.
Jordan and Christopher--there is no society or club.
That function (as far as Canada goes) is your last
contact with the camp (what it is called at your
university) unless you need a new ring. I am on my 3rd
ring--worn on pinky of your working hand.  So you need
not worry about all those other responsibilities or fees
you mentioned, unless your US Order is different.
Gary Hodgson

PS. It is interesting to go to a meeting and see someone
peeking to determine if you have an "Iron" ring.