Re: Post tensioning Detailing-Where and how?

I think we can do with fewer racist bigoted hateful postings.  If we are
really concerned about safety I am sure that  we have much more of a
problem with native born incompetent engineers than with outsourcing.

Mark Gilligan

No,  if the request came from "Tom Jones", the third paragraph would not
have been struck out,  it would have read:

"Why would anyone want to hire you, when they can have the same work done
by someone in India for 1/5th of the price. That person certainly couldn't
do any worse than you. "

Because I support outsourcing.  But I support outsourcing only when the
company doing the outsourcing can afford, and considers it necessary, to
invest sufficient time and money to ensure the individuals doing the work
produce a product of the required quality.  I do not think this necessarily
"takes jobs away from Americans",  With respect to structural engineering,
I think it can create jobs for Americans who are well versed in both the
applicable engineering principles and the pertinent code requirements. And
I think such Americans should be well compensated for their knowledge.

But back to the original post - the request did not come from "Tom Jones",
it came from "Nagesh Kumar" - the vice-president of engineering for this
company - "SECAD."

And I do not support this kind of outsourcing - outsourcing to Indian
immigrants. I do not believe it results in a product of the required
quality, because the cost of the work does not allow the company doing the
outsourcing to spend enough on quality control.  And if a company is
outsourcing detailing work to someone with poor English, who has no problem
doing detailing for post-tensioning, despite the fact he has absolutely no
understanding of what he is doing, I would hope that the company spends
quite a bit on quality control.

In my opinion, this applies to the placing drawings for a
conventionally-reinforced concrete building, as well as the installation
drawings for a post-tensioned building.  Because my safety depends on those
drawings.   And this is the same reason I do not like having immigrants
with poor English working as engineers in this country.  Because my safety
depends on their ability to understand and communicate with others in
English.  And in addition to being concerned about my own safety, I
nominally have some kind of responsibility to the general public.

And by poor English, I don't mean mixing up "principal" and "principle" and
"capitol" and "capital."  I mean not knowing the difference between the
past, present, and perfect tenses, so not being able to tell whether
something has already happened, is currently happening, or is going to
happen.  And not being able to communicate this to someone else.  And I
mean not knowing the difference between "this must be done" and "this may
be done" and "this will happen" and "this may happen."  The words "must"
and "may" have legal implications, and in that respect they can be subject
to interpretation.  However, they also have technical implications.  There
are certain things that must be done to ensure that a building is safe.

On a side note, however, I seem to be out-of-synch with respect to opinions
on outsourcing, at least with respect to the participants on this list.
Because according to this list, the central issue in outsourcing appears to
be ketchup.  And all I really know about ketchup is that Ronald Reagan
considered it a nutritious vegetable.

I will also note that I have gotten some e-mails disagreeing with my
opinions on outsourcing.  I can't really tell who is writing them, because
they are all from yahoo accounts, without names.  But I can say with pretty
fair certainty that they are not from "native-born Americans."  The
vocabulary is that of someone who has learned British English.

Gail Kelley