From: Cliff Schwinger [mailto:clifford234(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Sun 10/31/2004 2:05 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Post tensioning Detailing-Where and how?

Gail,

You are not out-of-synch with everyone on the
outsourcing topic.

I would also like to add that you hit the nail on the
head with your comment the other day about structural
engineering incompetence having the potential of
killing people.

The global economy is killing the standard of living
for many of us in the U.S. If you're a structural
engineer in the U.S., you are adversely affected by
outsourcing. The standard of living for stuctural
engineers in the U.S. is declining - but on the bright
side, the standard of living for structural engineers
in other countries is climbing.

Unfortunately, outsourcing is not going away. The
chanllenge will be for structural engineers to learn
how to compete against engineers overseas who are
earning 1/10th of what we earn.

The real scary thing will be to see how the declining
wages of structural engineers affects the economic
future of our country. How many of the best and
brightest of our nation's youth will opt for careers
in engineering if they see that they can make more
money with less risk in a different profession.

Cliff Schwinger