Re: Post tensioning Detailing-Where and how?

>From the data I found, prior to 1965 the emphasis was not on diversity.  In
that time period there was a real bias in favor of immigrants from Europe.
I would suggest that the current data actually shows more diversity in
immigrants.  The problem is that these people look different.

We need to be careful about racist retoric that hides behind such issues as
outsourcing.  Outsourcing is a real concern but we cannot let it become a
code word for descrimination.

Before we cast the first stone many of us should think back to the
conditions when our ancestors came over.  Before independence many Irish
people were sent over here as criminals.  In addition after the Civil War a
freed slave was considered a more desirable employe than the Irish
immigrants who came to this country.  There were signs in store windows
that said "no dogs, no Irish).   We should not forget the descrimination
experienced by our ancestors.  Just because we have assimilated it does not
give us permission to be insensitive.

Mark Gilligan

Gail,

>What was the condition before 1965 and after 1965 that you keep referring
to?  I'm not very familiar with the requirements for immigration and would
appreciate clarification to better understand this thread.

Inquisitively,
Lloyd Pack, PE

If you do a google search on 1965 immigration law,  you will find quite a
few hits.  I don't want to cite any particular article, because most of
them are written by people with strong opinions on one side or the other.
Or strong opinions about how the changes have affected a particular
nationality.

However, there has been a substantial increase in immigration since 1965.
And what is usually mentioned as a major change in 1965 is "family
reunification",  which is where someone who has gotten a visa is then
allowed to sponsor  family members such as adult siblings.  And the quotas
have all kind of preferences for these family members.  So, in essence,
the immigrants themselves are deciding who gets to immigrate here.  The
result is not diversity - a lot of countries are getting left out of the
immigration stream.

Another change was that engineers are considered a specialized occupation
that is given preference, so it is fairly easy for someone who comes here
for a master's degree in engineering to stay here.  A lot of people don't
think this preference is fair.

With respect to my original post,  my intent was not to insult engineers or
drafters or anyone else in India.  My point was that the post-tensioning
supplier did not appear to have any concern about the quality of the
drawings,  and presumably the objective was  to save money  by outsourcing
the drafting,  rather than spending the money to hire and train someone.
And if saving money was their concern,  it would probably be cheaper for
them to have the work done somewhere outside the US.

Gail Kelley