Re: Way Off Topic: Interesting Endorsements !!

On Nov 2, 2004, at 2:17 PM, Scott, William N. wrote:

Many of the terrorist seek replacement of their home country governments to be replace with theocracy. Seems to have very little to do with Israel Palestine.
Counted one by one, most don't, but the Israel/Palestine conflict seems to have the most acute impact in the world, and it's certainly among the longest standing. And if God suddenly stepped in and changed the Palestinians and Israelis to bosom buddies, Al Quaeda, Hamas, Islamic Jihad and all the others would cease to exist, and the Mossad would probably be absorbed into the YMHA.

The important thing is to stamp out terrorism, whether the Orange Order and Provos in Northern Ireland or the Chechen 'freedom fighters.' All of those groups think of themselves as freedom fighters, but they kill innocent people just like ordinary gangsters. Calling a thug a thug is going to be a big psychological step for everyone. I'm certain there are cases where the terrorists can only be treated like bandits and others where an insurgency can be negotiated, including many where we have to hold our nose and at least attempt negotiating with people we think are bandits. It wouldn't be easy, but even if it were I'm afraid the ball's been dropped.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/