From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 11:50 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: STEEL: W- to HSS- Connections

Comments on the following questions:

1. Is the "black book" titled "Hollow Structural Sections Connections
Manual" still a valid reference, or has the information therein been
superseded by the Third Edition LRFD?

2. I'd like to design a Vierendeel Truss using WF members for the chords
and HSS for the vertical members, with moment connections for the HSS to
the WF. I don't seem to be able to identify a design procedure for HSS
to the flange of a WF in the aforementioned "black book"; all the
procedures outlined appear to be for bolted end-plate connections. Am I
missing something in there, or is there something that someone else can
point to?

Thanks (Charley, I know you might be able to tackle this one but others
might have some insights as well).

Bill Polhemus, P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, Texas USA