RE: STEEL: W- to HSS- Connections

I'm just curious as to why you would want moment connections between your
vertical members and your chords.  Also, why would you want to connect HSS
to W-shapes, instead of HSS to HSS or W's to W's for that matter, in such a
fashion.  Not that I am knocking on your design methods, I am just curious.
Is the cost savings that significant???  Is there something that I am
missing with not doing a truss design in this method.  I am most certainly
interested.

Dave Maynard, PE
Gillette, WY

---